ÉLAN Middle School Writing Contest
Élan celebrates the work of students between 6th and 8th grades in our annual Middle School Writing Contest. The winner of the contest is awarded publication of their work on the Élan magazine website.
Students can submit in any form, including poetry (of any length and style), fiction (of up to 5,000 words), and nonfiction (essays up to 3,000 words). Please do not submit more than three individual pieces per student.
All Contest submissions must include:
- A cover letter that includes the writer’s name at the top followed by the titles of all pieces submitted underneath.
- Include a brief biography, the name of your current school and a sponsoring teacher’s name and email address. The writer’s pieces may begin on the next page.
- Have the title of the piece bolded in the upper left hand corner on the first page of each piece.
- All writing should be typed in a standard 12 pt font.
Submissions for the 2021 Middle School Contest are OPEN and may be emailed to email@example.com.
- Please indicate in your subject line you are submitting for the contest and clearly label the submissions.
- If a teacher is submitting on behalf of multiple students, please attach student submissions labeled and clearly indicate the work of each student in the document(s).
The winners of the 2020 contest are listed below. Visit the Middle School Writing Contest page to view the work of last year’s winners!
FIRST PLACE WINNER
“Grief” by Janna Tannous
SECOND PLACE WINNER
“Questions of the Youth” by Erion P. Sanders
THIRD PLACE WINNERS
“The Roaring Himalayas” by Rehan Sheikh
“Untitled” by John Walker