ÉLAN Middle School Writing Contest
Élan celebrates the work of students between 6th and 8th grades in our annual Middle School Writing Contest. The winner of the contest will be awarded at Douglas Anderson School of the Art during the Creative Writing department’s Spring Reading in Jacksonville, Florida on April 18th, 2019.
Students can submit in any form, including poetry (of any length and style), fiction (of up to 5,000 words), and nonfiction (essays up to 3,000 words).
This year’s contest is accepting submissions between February 19th, 2019 and March 29th, 2019. Submissions received after the deadline may be disqualified from the contest.
When submitting your entry via email, please follow these guidelines:
- The title of the email must say writer’s full name and then “Submission for Élan Writing Contest.” (For example: Sara Rodgers Submission for Élan Writing Contest).
- In the body of the email, please include the writer’s full name, age, email, school, city, home address followed by the titles of each piece they are submitting.
- All cover letters and submissions must be attached to the email as a word document. The title of the document needs to be the writer’s name only.
- Always use Times New Roman, 12pt font.
- Fiction, Creative Non-Fiction and Screen and Play pieces should always be double-spaced.
- If submitting poetry, you may single space. Only one poem per page.
Note: Place your name only on the cover sheet as all submissions go through a blind reading process by our staff.
ÉLAN Art and Writing Contest
Each submission to the Fall and Spring online editions of Élan are automatically entered into the Élan Magazine Art and Writing Contest.
One writing piece and one art piece are chosen by the judges. The winners are rewarded with a cash prize and recognition in the magazine, as well as their own copy of Élan.
Check back in March for information about our 2018-2019 judges!