READING/VIEWING PERIOD AND ACCEPTANCE
Submissions for the Spring 2017 Online Edition are now CLOSED
Mailed submissions should be sent to:
Douglas Anderson School of the Arts/Attn: Élan Staff
2445 San Diego Road
Jacksonville, FL 32207
Email submissions are accepted at email@example.com
All submissions must include:
- A cover letter that includes the writer’s name at the top followed by the titles of all pieces submitted underneath. Include a brief biography, the name of your current school and a sponsoring teacher’s name and email address.
- The writer’s pieces may begin on the next page. Have the title of each piece bolded in the upper left hand corner on the first page of each piece.
If an email submission, also include:
- The title of the email must say writer’s full name and then “Submission for Élan.” (For example: Sara Rodgers Submission for Élan).
- In the body of the email, please include the writer’s full name, age, email, school, city, home address followed by the titles of each piece they are submitting.
- All cover letters and submissions must be attached to the email as a word document. The title of the document needs to be the writer’s name only.
- Always use Times New Roman, 12pt font.
- Fiction, Creative Non-Fiction and Screen and Play pieces should always be double-spaced.
- If submitting poetry, you may single space. Only one poem per page.
Note: Place your name only on the cover sheet as all submissions go through a blind reading process by our staff.
Please refer to the following guidelines for each genre to submit your work:
- Poems can be any length and style.
- You may submit up to 3 pieces per issue
- Micro-fiction, short-stories and excerpts of larger stories up to 5,000 words are acceptable. Pieces over 1,200 words must have a marked excerpt. All excerpted submissions should include the full manuscript with selected portion clearly marked. If a piece is selected and over 1,200 words, only the excerpted portion will receive publication.
- Essays up to 3,000 words may be submitted with excerpt, 1,200 words or under, clearly noted. As with fiction, if a piece is selected and over 1,200 words, the excerpted section is the only portion that will receive publication.
Plays and Screenplays
- Submit full manuscripts with potential excerpts clearly noted. Pieces over 1,200 words must have a marked excerpt. All excerpted submissions should include the full manuscript with selected portion clearly marked. If a piece is selected and over 1,200 words, only the excerpted portion will receive publication.
- Celtx.com is a great, free service and we would prefer for all screenplays to be formatted through Celtx, as long as one is able. Plays can also be formatted through this service. If you are unable to use the service, your screenplay must still match its formatting.